Tuesday, February 21, 2012

H.F.P. @ The Red Bull Music Academy LA With Ali Shaheed Muhammad & Maseo

Lecture: Ali Shaheed Muhammad (Los Angeles 2012) from Red Bull Music Academy on Vimeo.


Lecture: Maseo of De La Soul (Los Angeles 2012) from Red Bull Music Academy on Vimeo.


Speaking for myself (and I'm sure many a Hip-Hop head, and music lovers in general), I can not express enough the influence and impact of A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul. Some of you who are close to me know this story, but when I saw Tribe live @ The Wiltern during my first week of college, Sunday, September 10th, 2006, that was the night I decided to make music my life's dream to chase. Many people use this saying and have made it a cliche, but I'm dead serious when I say that night changed my life. There was a certain energy and euphoria in that theater I can not describe, and have yet to experience again since. Maybe the best way I can put it is it was almost like this scene from The Blues Brothers (pay attention to John Belushi starting @ the 1:50 mark).

Cut to almost 3 weeks ago. For those of you who do not know of The Red Bull Music Academy, please visit their website here and educate yourself. There are so many excellent full lectures to watch dating back to the academy's conception in 1998. Above is another perfect example of these will in-depth music discussion. It is pure "Liner Note Junkie" heaven. And to have the opportunity to ask a question (peep the 1:08:32 mark during Shaheed's lecture)and be able to talk to these two living legends for a brief moment afterwards is something I will never forget, because the Native Tongue movement is a key component to the blueprint of what Honor Flow Productions is.

The event was in conjunction with Boombox's (a event held every Saturday night @ Grand Star Jazz Club in Chinatown) 5th annual celebration of the life and music of my favorite producer, J Dilla, who contributed heavily to both Tribe's and De La's catalogs during his career. Over the course of that day, I was able to meet, as well as re-connect with a lot of people. And it was great to see all of you, and I hope to continue to see you all, lol! And to Tribe and De La, upmost Soul Claps & Salutes, and thank you. Or as Maseo put it... "Salutes, Salutaries, Salutations."


Photography By Kris Perry Photography
To view pictures from Boombox later that night by Kris, click here...

Red Bull Music Academy Radio: Live Tribute Sets From Boombox

Maseo: Listen Here!



Ali Shaheed Muhammad: Listen Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment